More than ever, our society requires, skilled workers with formal training and certification. In most jobs nowadays, it is not enough to master the profession itself. A good education should include people skills and computer skills, in addition to professional skills.
List of Occupations
Choose relevant videos at this link: Career Videos. Right-click to open in separate window.
These videos show some of the skills you need to succeed in a particular line of work. The videos are made in the USA. Therefore, working conditions and regulations may vary from those in Norway. These videos will however give you a pretty good idea of what various professionals occupy themselves with. Some of the occupations require additional post graduate study. The videos are also subtitled.
- Study the list of occupations. Click on the links of the videos that contain occupations that you find interesting.
- Read the video subtext carefully. Use a dictionary to look up specific words. Then do the tasks below.
- Mention a few of the things you are expected to do in this occupation.
- What kind of equipment or personal qualities do you need to succeed in this occupation?
- What is typical of this line of work – is it hard on your body, mentally exhausting or demanding in any other way. Explain.
- If you were to employ someone to do this type of work for you, what qualities would you look for amongst the applicants?
- Make a list of things that you like about this type of work and things you dislike.
- How do you expect this work to change in the next 30 years?
Safety and Working Conditions
- Did you spot any safety violations according to Norwegian standards? If so, what are they?
- Are working conditions in this video different from those in Norway? If so, how?