From Nicaragua to the USA in Pursuit of a Dream?
Pre-reading: Discuss the following statement: The American Dream is no magic, just hard work
Americans work longer hours than most Europeans and they are willing to move several times during their lifetime to pursue a satisfying career. In fact they are more competitive and more prepared to jump whenever opportunity knocks than we are. Listen to the interview with this Nicaraguan-American family.
- How does this Nicaraguan boy perceive the American dream,?
- What are his mother's expectations of him?
- How would you characterize the mother?
- How did this boy react to hearing his parents' story?
- How typical is this mother and son conflict? Could this have been Norway? If so, why?
- Do sons of poor people work harder than sons of rich people? If so, why?
- Does affluence gradually make us less willing to make sacrifices in life?
- Is this mother pushing her son too hard?
- Are you ambitious or relaxed with respect to school work and career?