David Beckham - a Football Legend
Ever heard the phrase: Bend It Like Beckham? What does it refer to? What made David Beckham a football legend?
- Where and when was David Beckham born?
- How old was he when he started playing for Manchester United?
- How many times has he won the Premier League title?
- Which Spanish team did he play for?
- When did he marry Victoria Adams?
- Which American team did he play for?
- How many years was he the captain for England's National Team?
- What kind of scandals has he been involved in?
- When did he retire as a football player?
- What is his present job?
- What UN organization is he a Good Will Ambassador for?
- In London in 1975
- 17 years old
- 6 times
- Real Madrid
- Los Angeles Galaxy
- 6 years
- Fashion, charity
- We have legendary football players like Pelé, Maradona and Ronaldo, but David Beckham is in a league of his own. Why is that?
- Some maintain that Beckham's accomplishments off pitch are just as important as his football career. What is referred to, and what is your opinion?
- As an explanation of Beckham's fame, it might be said that he has done everything "right" in his career, and has always been the center of attention wherever he is. In your opinion, what has he done right, and what could he have done differently?
- Is David Beckham a good role model for young people, or is he just a superficial icon?
Bend It Like Beckham
To a great extent the story of David Beckham is a rags to riches story. As a poor London boy he was not predestined for fame and success. In this respect he might be a source of inspiration for many unprivileged young kids around the world. In this film clip you'll meet a young British girl of Indian descent who has David as her great idol. Watch the clip.
- What kind of obstacles does the protagonist in the film, Jessminder, have to fight?
- Why are role models such as David Beckham vital for Jessminder and other less fortunate children?
Interview and Speech
In connection with his charity work, David Beckham stated:
I want to see children be involved in sports, not just playing sports, but it could be coaching or helping out in different ways.
- Do some research on David Beckham's charity work and make an interview with him where you focus on his commitment and achievements.
- You have been asked to join the UN Youth Assembly and you are going to give a speech (duration: 5 minutes) where you focus on sports as a source of inspiration and hope for unprivileged young people.
Watch the film, Bend It Like Beckham, and try out the tasks related to the movie Bend It Like Beckham
Nodes which use this node
- ENGLISH – PROGRAMME SUBJECT IN PROGRAMMES FOR SPECIALIZATION IN GENERAL STUDIES