Olympic Games in London - Watch and Identify People and Symbols
Published: 22.08.2012, Updated: 04.03.2017
- Watch the clips above and identify: people (celebrities, politicians, etc.), buildings, items and symbols that you associate with the United Kingdom. Write a list of your findings and share it with the class.
- Why do you think the monarch, an actor and a football player were chosen to represent the UK in the opening ceremony?
- Compare the two clips. How do they reflect different parts of British culture? Which one do you think appeals most to young people?
- British music was an important part of the entire opening ceremony. Do you recognise the music in the sequence with the Queen above? How do you think the music contributes to the atmosphere?
- The Britons are renowned for their sense of humour. Judging from the Queen sequence, can you name some characteristics of this humour?
- Watch various clips on the Internet from the opening ceremony. Then discuss what you think of the opening ceremony in general. Do we get a realistic and representative impression of the United Kingdom?
- A Conservative MP called the opening ceremony "leftie multicultural crap" in a tweet. What do you think he refers to? Why do you think this tweet sparked fury and indignation?
- Discuss if it is an advantage or disadvantage for a city like London to host gigantic sports arrangements. Make a list of pros and cons.